Soccer Betting Tips
Rules to stay disciplined at Soccer Betting
It's not easy to win money consistently from betting. Fewer than 5% of gamblers are successful at it. The number one pitfall for most punters is lack of discipline. The following rules will make your betting more profitable and help turn you into a consistent winner.
1. Choose a staking plan. Set aside a sum of money to use for your betting, and nothing else. This should be an amount you can afford to lose. You should risk between 1% and 5% of your bankroll on each bet, with most bets being in the 1-2% range. Poor money management can bankrupt even the most talented sports bettors.
2. Keep detailed records of all your bets. All professional gamblers do this. By recording every single one of your bets, you can identify patterns. Isolate types of bets, leagues or teams you consistently win or lose money on. You can then refine your strategies and become more successful. Record keeping also keeps you disciplined and discourages you from placing frivolous "fun" bets, which inevitably lose.
3. Never force a bet. Only bet when you have an edge over the bookmaker. Always be patient, even if that means letting several days go by without betting. Would you rather win a wager on an obscure South American league match or lose one on the Champions League final?
4. Avoid multiples and accumulators (parlays). It's fun to string five or six bets together in a combo for a juicy payout. But you'll never become a successful punter betting that way. Stick with singles for the vast majority of your bets. As you become more comfortable, there are some occasions where it makes sense to combine two bets in a double, but that is the exception, not the rule.
5. Specialize in two or three leagues only. You can't be an expert in every league even if you had all the time in the world. It just isn't humanly possible. So stick with what you know, and learn that league inside out. Money is money, it doesn't matter whether you win it betting on Greek football or the Scottish 3rd division.
6. Study odds movements. Keep an eye on the betting market and look for big shifts in odds on a particular football match. Try and determine out why the odds may have changed. Is a key player injured? Is it a big-name team that's popular with punters? If you can't explain why the odds moved, you may be better off skipping a particular match.
7. Don't get emotionally involved. If you have a favourite team, don't blindly back them every weekend because you hope they'll win. Use your knowledge of a particular team to your advantage and know when to bet against them.
8. Don't second guess yourself. Trust your own skills and instincts when analyzing a game. If you list and rank all the reasons for betting on a certain match, the first one that comes to mind is usually the most important. Don't be afraid to pull the trigger on a bet if a secondary factor changes, like a slight turn in the weather or a peripheral player getting injured.
If you follow these rules closely, you're on your way to becoming a serious and successful soccer punter. Stay disciplined, don't stray from the rules and you'll find that soccer betting is more fun when you win money from it!